Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Cryptic Poems found by Googling "Cryptic Poems," Part I

from:
http://www.gotpoetry.com/Poems/l_op=viewpoems/lid=54439.html

Cryptic Seed

by rondo

CRYPTIC SEED


PLEASE DON’T READ !!!!
This is cryptic seed
Solely designed
To invade your mind
If you persist
In reading this
Your thoughts will be affected
you’ll feel changes in your perspective
By then its too late
Nothing to do but wait
Curiosity killed the cat
If you read further
You cannot go back
Have you got a death wish or what
You think this is a game its not
Your brain synapse
Are deploying lapses
An imbedded covert syntax
Is charting your brain wave maps
Once in place
They can’t be erased
HEAD THIS LAST WARNING I IMPLORE
I WON’T TRY TO WARN YOU ANY MORE
Well
Hell
Too late now you should have waited
The damadge is done your contaminated
There’s nothing I can do
I tried to stop you
Told you so
Gotta go
rondo



I've asked my students to bring me cryptic poems. Interestingly, they go to their oracle, Google, to do this. "Google," they implore, "find me this." They type it clearly: "cryptic poem." And I get things like this in class. Thanks, Google. The random equations and logarithms of this "universe 2.0" frustrates the crap out of some of my honors students. I can tell that some (not all, not even a majority) of my students are muttering under their breath, wondering what this zeitgeist approach teaches them about things the "academy" believes they ought to know. From a curriculum standpoint, we are addressing our "unit questions" and "learning maps," so I feel like we're on track. Those of us who can hold things a bit more loosely can enjoy the ride.

No comments: