Thursday, August 2, 2012

A Painting for Her Nursery

I haven't done a painting in years, but a new friend reminded me what fun painting can be.  I'm realizing, too, that my preferred artistic outlet (theatre), is going to be less and less available to me as a new dad, so I am hoping to write more and to create more visual art as a coping strategy.  Film projects are more manageable, too, especially the shorter film projects.


Anyhow, this is for our baby girl's nursery.  It's not finished... I ran out of white paint partway through the sky, so I am eager to add another layer of highlights, then perhaps a few more detailing layers, but I have a feeling it may be hanging in there unfinished for a while.  My friend Bill has a blog about being a dad (and being a dad-to-be right now) and he put it eloquently when he spoke of the mistakes in their nursery mural: 



"Throughout the drafting, chalk-lining, taping and painting, we reminded ourselves that we were creating the mural 'out of love, not perfection.'
Becoming parents, after all, requires coming to terms with our imperfections."

Here it is, my imperfect painting for our baby girl... an abstracted view up the Susquehanna River Valley, looking north... sunrise, midday, sunset, and night (24"x48").  I'll add a photo whenever I can get it to a more finished state:












... and a little slideshow, too.



2 comments:

Patti Fox Miller said...

I love the painting! Having seen it in person, I can vouch for the beauty of the vivid colors and the love in every brush stroke. Little Lady Campbell will be able to hang it in every home she ever has, gazing at it and being reminded of the love of dad, the first man in her life!

Ellen Campbell said...

And someday too, these words will mean a lot to her. Both the paint and the words leave a lasting legacy to this deeply loved child.